The cave was discovered and explored in 1925; excavation began in 1927. Substantial artifacts were discovered, including arrowheads, grinding stones, tools made of bone, and skeletal remains of the early inhabitants, including American Indians; some items date to 5,000 B.C.
This cavern has been open every day since 1927 for public tours. Only 50 percent of the cave is developed—the remaining areas are preserved for wildlife. The educational, family-friendly tour takes 45 minutes to one hour. It is an easy, well lit walk. The cave has several recognized cave formations, including one of the largest rimstone pools in the state. Cavern still owned and operated by the Browning family.
The on-site Browning Museum, included in the tour, holds more than 700 locally-found arrowheads and other chipped artifacts, plus a collection of mineral rocks, fossils and artifacts. To fully enjoy the cave and the museum, allow 1-1.5 hours.
Admission: $12; ages 4-11, $6; younger than 4, free.